Conduct and behavior are closely associated with learning and an effective instructional program requires a wholesome and orderly school environment. The District Code of Conduct provides a broad framework of behavioural expectations for students to ensure a safe and positive climate for learning, and has guided the Seaquam school community in the development of its own code of conduct – Seaquam C.A.R.E.S.
Seaquam C.A.R.E.S embodies the most important values as identified by the students, staff, and parents. It aims to engender harmony, promote responsibility, respect, civility learning and academic excellence, and sets clear standards of behavior. The goal is to create a positive school climate where all members of the school community feel safe, comfortable and accepted.
1. Honor requests and instructions of staff.
2. Use the language of instruction in the classroom.
3. Avoid inappropriate physical contact.
4. Contribute positively to a safe, caring and orderly school.
1. Develop and maintain positive and professional relationships.
2. Communicate effectively by practicing active listening.
3. Show sincerity, authenticity, and compassion.
4. Show and extend dignity to everyone by acknowledging their place in our society and treating them ethically.
1. Show appreciation for diversity amongst people.
2. Demonstrate admiration for all individual backgrounds.
3. Provide equal opportunities for everyone to work and learn.
4. Make others around you feel valued and welcomed.
1. Demonstrate consistency between your actions and words.
2. Follow through with your promises or agreements.
3. Own your actions, behaviours, beliefs and words.
1. Only claim credit for your own ideas, writing, and thinking.
2. Never present or declare intellectual property as yours.
3. Uphold personal integrity by engaging in authorized activities and acceptable collaborations.
1. Take the initiative.
2. Earn the benefits and privileges you wish to enjoy.
3. Be part of the solution.
For all people by:
1. Demonstrating appreciation for yourself and your personal background.
2. Communicating with a respectful tone of voice and using acceptable language.
3. Recognizing, appreciating and regarding the needs and private lives of others.
4. Dressing appropriately.
For all property by:
1. Taking pride in the appearance and cleanliness of the school.
2. Taking responsibility for shared and personal property.
3. Refraining from theft or damage to property.
For learning by:
1. Attending class.
2. Being prepared for class.
3. Arriving to class on time.
4. Respecting the right of others to learn.
1. Embrace the First Peoples’ Principles of Learning.
2. Celebrate and embody school culture.
3. Value and honour natural environments.
1. Be an exemplary role-model to others.
2. Leave a professional digital footprint on the internet.
3. Use social media platforms productively and compassionately.
1. Give yourself and others only your best intentions.
2. Embody preparation for and process of learning.
3. Show diligence when working on required tasks.
1. Have all visitors first report to the office.
2. Be where you are supposed to be.
3. Keep Seaquam free of weapons, violence, and illegal drugs.
1. Keep Seaquam clean.
2. Keep Seaquam smoke and drug free.
3. Follow all procedures related to site-specific health and safety.
1. Report incidents of threats, bullying, harassment, violence or intimidation to a responsible adult.
2. Avoid being involved in behviours that stimulate possession, consumption, or distribution of illegal or restricted substances.